Thursday, January 19, 2012

Opinion-as-Identity


When I came across this video I was reminded of how often we dismiss opinions we disagree with. Why do we engage in this behavior? Is it because were reluctant to change our views? Or is it because society tells us it is not politically correct. Unfortunately, its both; and a majority of Americans follows these "understood rules".

Confidently, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, declared her opinion on a controversial issue on national television and I commend her for her honesty. Who would have thought? A pageant contestent with the goal to win the crown, put her principles above everything. A pageant contestant is supposed to appeal to people of all different ages, and because Carrie stated her opinion on a contreversial issue, she lost her support from fans and it also cost her the crown. However, what Carrie did, puts her above the other contestents because she was staying true to herself, as she explains it. Miss California is a perfect example of someone encouraging rhetorical exchange.

If you were in her situation, what would you have done? If it were me, I know I would have followed the “rules”, and found a way around answering the question so I would not offend those in support of same sex marraige as well as those against it, even if I had strong opinions towards legalizing same sex marriage. Miss California also explains how her, her father and her sister have strong colliding views, but mentions they are open to listening, examining, and negotiating them, which is a key factor in rhetoric. This opinion-as-identity image has stood in the way of rhetorical exchange and has limited the way we can “invent”. Next time, when someone is giving their opinion, listen to them and hear what their saying before you disregard it completely. 

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I remember watching this on the news in 2009 and I completely agree. In our society today it seems we are too scared to share our personal opinions and Ms. California proved us wrong. I look up to this woman everyday for her actions on that stage. This is great piece.
    Thank you for this,
    Kimberly Hamilton

    ReplyDelete