Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wheres my water?


Yes, this is a Disney App, but I LOVE IT! I am absolutely obsessed with my new purchase. I purchased it the other night and have been playing it ever since. Now you're probably wondering how does this have to do with rhetoric? Well, just today, I tried persuading my roommate to get it. I was using rhetoric and I didn't even realize until she said "Jeez, Karen. Relax. I'll get it, but you sound like a commercial." 

Then it hit me. Everything that I had just learned about commercials and their arrangement, appeal, style, purpose, and argument; I was using. 

I started asking myself, how did I come off as a commercial? Then, I thought back to the three specific conversations I had with my roommate, Anna, today. 

Conversation 1: 
Me: Anna! When you get the iPhone over spring break the first app you have to download is Where's My Water! 
Anna: What is it?
Me: Its a Disney app--a disney app? Yes, a Disney app. 
Anna: Uh..I don't know its probably an app for a fourth grader 
Me: Fine, your no fun.

As I went about my day, I continued to play my game in all the crazy levels it contains. 

Conversation 2:
Anna: How was class?
Me: Silence..
Anna: ..Karen 
Me: Oh! Sorry I didn't hear you. I've been trying to beat this level since my first class today 
Anna: Let me see 
Me: This is the alligator that needs the water. The green slime breaks through the dirt quickly so I have to find a way around that. Oh and this purple lava can take over the water! 
Anna: Hmm..Try This!

Even with her help, still I couldn't pass it. 

Conversation 3: 
Me: YES!!
Anna: What happened?
Me: I finally beat the level!
Anna: Can I try the next one?
Me: A-ha, and you said this was a game for children. . .you goon.

You can distinctly see the progression as I am persuading her just like a commercial would do an audience. I begin by simply mentioning the product (Wheres My Water). By me just mentioning some information about the App, in this case, just the name, it was perfectly planted in her memory. Then I moved on and talked about specifics of the app, like how it works, and what you have to do. She instantly engaged in the conversation by saying "hmm, try this!" Lastly, when I expressed excitement about the app and my accomplishment, she strayed from her original opinion of the app and asked to play. She was hooked!

Simple rhetoric at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment